It’s okay to walk out of someone’s life if you feel like you don’t belong there anymore. If this feeling is mutual it’s always easy but if you are pushed out of someone’s life it’s not easy for your heart to imagine yourself away from the person you thought of spending your entire life with. Breakups can be truly devastating. They can make your heartache.
I mean the word “ache” quite literally. Your heart can actually really ache after a bad breakup and show symptoms of a heart attack like increased blood pressure and chest pain. This is referred to by the psychologist as “Broken Heart Syndrome“.
What happens when you are in love:
Your brain loves LOVE. Being in a relationship has its own personality. A perfect date night can naturally increase hormones like dopamine and oxytocin in your body which makes you feel like ‘high’ ‘satisfied’ and makes your brain happy.
What happens when you break up:
There’s no more ‘happy hormones’ in your body. The depressed state you are in makes your brain feel that you are under some kind of physical pain. To ease this pain your brain activates the adrenal glands to secrete cortisol and adrenaline, both of these is said to have really banging effect on your body on low dosages. But sadly breakup trauma lasts over weeks (for emotionally weak people like me it may take years to heal). So constant high doses of these stress hormones can cause immense trouble.
A broken heart is equal to the broken body:
1. These breakup hormones (I’d call it as) assuming to ease pain will send more blood to major muscle groups causing tension of muscles leading to headaches, stiff neck, and sometimes chest pain.
Urghhhh! Relationships are such headaches!!
2. Your digestive system becomes devoid of blood supply as your body is busy supplying to muscles, which causes cramps, diarrhea, nausea, appetite changes.
OMG! Those nauseous were true!
3. Breakups not only suppress your happy moods but suppresses your immune system as well, making you vulnerable to a number of infections.
Seriously! I am sick of it !!
4. A broken heart is a literal physical pain. You may crave to get back your ex(not realizing they have become your ex by the time) so looking at his/her pictures, Reading old texts may actually activate the part of the brain which is usually activated at times of physical pain.
Yes! It may actually ache!
5. The sleepless nights, crying yourself to sleep, sleeping with heavy heart wishing not to wake up, can actually stop your heart if not attended to it properly.
When in a relationship, your mind, your body, your soul gets attached strongly to someone. Once the strings breaks, not only your mind is disturbed but also your body’s regular functioning is disturbed. It’s really important to take care of yourself. You need to understand that “love is falling for someone knowing you don’t have a band-aid. So always be ready to get hurt”. Love is a magic which can thaw a frozen heart, if one goes you’ll surely have a better love coming your way in the Future. According to Paulo Coelho if you are brave enough to say a goodbye; the world will reward you with a new hello.
Let’s understand our body is the instrument with which you need to survive the future, so why spoil it mourning about the past. Tackle this “broken heart syndrome” with love. Love yourself and believe me you will never regret.
Anyone can write on Redoact. Start writing!
Paramedical student at Madras Medical Mission. A voracious reader, having a lot of interest in writing and very good at putting myself in other’s shoes. I do have a great passion for cooking and traveling.