A newborn baby has only three demands-warmth in the arms of their mother, food from her, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all the three needs.
Motherhood is fierce, what could be more perverse than asking a woman to feel shame for nurturing and innocent life in the way she was biologically designed to do? Asks a mother who was terribly trolled for posting a picture of herself breastfeeding her child. The relationship between a mother and a child is a sacred one. The most important connection between them after the fetal cord is the act of breastfeeding as the child latches on to mother and embraces her.
Many countries including Philippines Canada Australia Germany Norway have made public breastfeeding legal. But Indians who call their country” mother India” haven’t made it legal. More than making it legal-‘ unless people’s attitude change, the law can not do anything’ says Malathi a working mom who quit her job so that she can breastfeed her child.
Benefits of breastfeeding:
- burns extra calories
- increases oxytocin release which will help the uterus to get back on to the regular size.
- breastfeeding moms have decreased chances of breast and ovarian cancer.
- buying artificial products may cost you a lot. Breastfeeding saves money and time.
- bonding happens between the mom and the child.
- provides all the required nutrients in a perfect mix for the sufficient growth of the child.
- contains antibodies which lower the risk of asthma and allergies.
- help baby fight against respiratory and other infections.
- in later times breastfed children prove to have higher IQ scores.
- a child finds its first relationship in the world, a mother, who saves them from starvation.
The young mother already has enough problems to handle like postpartum depression, mastitis, breast engorgement, breasts pain, to handle a child. Why burden them by inhibiting them from doing something their body was designed for.
Encourage mother’s do not hesitate about breastfeeding. Don’t give them an awkward stare, instead give them a pleasant smile. We live in a country where a model, Gilu Joseph, who tried to create awareness on breastfeeding by posing as such in a magazine cover was called uncultured and was even complained about public nudity. This situation should change. Either facility for mother’s to nurse their child privately should be arranged if not accept the act being done in public!
Yeah, if she is a woman she is gonna have breasts if she’s a mom she’s definitely gonna lactate. It’s just like your heart beating your lungs breathing a normal physiological process. Breasts are referred to as mammary glands and not sex organs. So please stop harassing and trolling moms for being a mother. After all, it is her right to satisfy the hunger of her child.
Anyone can write on Redoact. Start writing!
Paramedical student at Madras Medical Mission. A voracious reader, having a lot of interest in writing and very good at putting myself in other’s shoes. I do have a great passion for cooking and traveling.