The beginning of
#WorldBreastfeedingWeek (Aug. 1-8).
Breastfeeding is the best start to life for any baby. Always exclusively breastfeed your babies within one hour from birth until the baby is 6 months old. After 6 months, the baby should continue breastfeeding for 2 years while being given complimentary nutritious foods.
3 in 5 babies are not breastfed within the first hour of life.Those babies are at higher risk of death and disease.
Breast milk is best for your baby, and the benefits of breastfeeding extend well beyond basic nutrition. Packed with essential vitamins and disease-fighting agents, this is the best gift a mother can give to her child.
India is not a Breastfeeding Nation
Only 42% are breastfed within one hour of birth, only 55% are exclusively breastfed for 6 months. Out of 26 lakhs, Neo-natal deaths are reported globally in 2016, 6 Lakhs children died in India.
Barriers to Breastfeeding
- Poor health of the Lactating mother
- lack of time to breastfeed, especially in case of a working mother
- depend on infant formula
- leaving breastfeeding midway due to insufficient milk production
- breastfeeding in public
What is in Breast Milk
|Nutrient||Human Milk||Cow’s Milk (3.25% fat)||Goat’s Milk|
|Saturated fat (g)||4.9||4.6||6.5|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||4.1||2.0||2.7|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.2||0.5||0.4|
|Omega-3 fatty acids (mg)||128||183||97.6|
|Omega-6 fatty acids (mg)||920||293||266|
|Vitamin A (IU)||522||249||483|
|Vitamin C (mg)||12.3||0||3.2|
|Vitamin D (IU)||9.8||97.6||29.3|
|Vitamin E (mg)||0.2||0.1||0.2|
|Vitamin K (mcg)||0.7||0.5||0.7|
|Vitamin B6 (mg)||0.0||0.1||0.1|
|Vitamin B12 (mcg)||0.1||1.1||0.2|
|Pantothenic acid (mg)||0.5||0.9||0.8|
Benefits of breastfeeding:
- 20% newborn death can be prevented.
- In the first 6 months, an exclusively breastfed child has 14 times higher chances of survival compared to a non-breastfeed child.
- breastfeeding protects child again against Pneumonia, it produces antibodies and immunity.
- 28% reduction in Breast Cancer
- 20% in Ovarian Cancer
- Up to 12% drop in chances of getting type 2 diabetes for each year of breastfeeding